Skip to main content

Scary Girl

To try and sum up my experience playing 'Scary Girl' in a few words would be: confusing, frustrating, and familiar. I have never been great at video games. I am not horrible, but it takes me a lot of practice to get the hang of a game. I tried to play several times during this week, and while the controls were simple enough to follow and were similar to other games I have played before I just couldn't get the hang of this one. I kept dying and while the instructions on which keys I used to move were clear, I couldn't understand the hints that were given to me via picture and cryptic clues. In short, I didn't get very far, not even passed the first level.

In relation to the four layers:
Gameplay -
In relation to gameplay, I found the game simple to follow, it was definitely the right balance between introduction and play. I will say that I personally wished the introduction had more words than just "A strange man in her dreams. Who is he?" and for my lack of not being able to advance through the levels, I had to google the basic storyline of the game.

Narrative Goals-
The simple overall narrative goal of the game was the mystery of finding out who the mystery man was, I, unfortunately, didn't do that, but I did complete some small goals, such as speaking to certain characters.

Narrative Background-
This particular piece of the game was hard to find while playing, especially since I was awful at it. I found that the small enhancive pieces were mostly provided by the small extra characters that had to be spoken too, such as the rabbit character and the sea creature (I cannot for the life of me remember their names).


Mental Modeling-
I had a hard time with this one because I was so frustrated and so focused on trying to get to the next step to try and get further in the game. I didn't find that I found the image before me different from the image in my head, but I did find myself muttering out an "ouch" everytime I would fail to eliminate one of the small creatures.

All in all this game was entertaining and I can see myself practicing further, I just wish I had started playing this game a lot earlier so that I could get further into the game and have a more thorough experience of the storyline and goals of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Edition

The Scarlet Letter Nathaniel Hawthorne Published in 1850 I. THE PRISON-DOOR A throng of bearded men, in sad-coloured garments and grey steeple-crowned hats, intermixed with women, some wearing hoods, and others bareheaded, was assembled in front of a wooden edifice, the door of which was heavily timbered with oak, and studded with iron spikes. The founders of a new colony, whatever Utopia of human virtue and happiness they might originally project, have invariably recognised it among their earliest practical necessities to allot a portion of the virgin soil as a cemetery, and another portion as the site of a prison. In accordance with this rule, it may safely be assumed that the forefathers of Boston had built the first prison-house somewhere in the vicinity of Cornhill, almost as seasonably as they marked out the first burial-ground, on Isaac Johnson's lot, and round about his grave, which subsequently became the nucleus of all the congregated